Keto Chocolate Danish
Keto Chocolate Danish
This Keto Chocolate Danish is AMAZING! Know how to make fathead dough? Fathead Dough and cooking keto meals opens up an entire world of low carb foods. SO…. if you know how to make fathead dough you’re in luck.
Fathead dough was the brainchild of a son of the brother of the maker of the movie Fathead. It’s this miracle magical mixture of cheese, almond flour and egg to form a dough.
I use this dough for many recipes including pizza, pigs in a blanket, stromboli, cinnamon rolls, sweet cheese danish AND Keto Chocolate Danish.
I like to make the Fathead Dough in the Food Processor in triple batches. Making Fathead Dough in the food processor has greatly simplified the whole process. When you batch prepare the Fathead dough you will always have it readily available to make many keto friendly meals.
Low Carb Chocolate Bars
Aren’t we lucky to live in this day and age where we can order low carb chocolate online or pick one up at the supermarket? Almost everywhere in the world (most definitely in the US) we can buy low carb chocolate bars and in many flavors.
For this Keto Chocolate Danish I have used Salted Caramel Milk Chocolate, Original Chocolate, and Milk Chocolate variety.
I have seen White Chocolate Peppermint and Blood Orange Chocolate varieties to name a few. You can use whatever variety you like in this recipe.
Braiding the Dough
Once you have the dough rolled and flattened out into a rectangle you can start the braiding process. And BTW…if you don’t want to get fancy you can skip this part and just fold the dough over in one flap.
However, braiding the Keto Chocolate Danish is not expert level stuff. On either side of the center placed chocolate bar make slanted slices in the dough. Alternate folding over a strip of the dough over the chocolate from one side then go to the other side to fold another strip over the chocolate.
Alternate back and forth folding the dough all the way down the chocolate bars. Then fold the ends of the dough over to cap off each end and seal the chocolate into the dough.
Using an egg wash is a nice finishing touch on the Keto Chocolate Danish BEFORE you bake it. Simply crack an egg in a small dish and scramble it using a fork.
Brush the egg wash over all parts of the Keto Chocolate Danish dough. The egg wash will help give the dessert a nice shiny finish upon baking.
You may wish to sprinkle the top of the danish with some sliced almonds or other chopped nuts. This adds a nice finishing touch to the danish and also helps to cover some of the imperfections in the dough.
This step is optional and does not detract from the danish if you decide not to use.
With your oven set to 400*, place the Keto Chocolate Danish into the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
At the end of the bake time you may wish to turn the oven to broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute just to quickly brown the top and toast the almonds if using.
Keto Chocolate Danish stores quite well in the fridge or freezer. I slice the whole danish into 10 pieces and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
21 day Keto & Fasting Jump Start Program
If you’re new to low carb and fasting and need someone like me to hold you accountable I have a one on one program. The Kellie Kitchen Accountability Coaching Program…for details click here.
I’ll teach you how to eat delicious food and still lose weight, look great and feel AMAZING.
However, if you’re a “Do It Yourself” kind of person I have created a workbook to take you through the 21 day Jump Start Journey.
Keto Chocolate Danish
Ham and Swiss Filling
- 8 oz low carb chocolate bars Lily's chocolate bar
- 1 tbsp egg
- 2 tsp almonds sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat the cheeses together in microwave on high for 30-60 seconds. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir. Continue to repeat the microwave heating until all the cheese is completely melted and combined.
- Dough will be sticky. You can coat your hands or rubber spatula with water or cooking spray for ease of transfer to cooking sheet.
- Lay out a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spray with oil spray. Place the ball of dough in the middle of the baking sheet. Place another oiled sheet of parchment paper over the dough. Press the dough out into a large rectangle using your hands or a rolling pin.
- The rectangle of dough should be 12-14” long and 10” wide. Remove the top sheet of parchment paper. Think of your long dough rectangle in 1/3 sections. The long center 1/3 will be where you place the 2 chocolate bars lengthwise.
- Keep the long center 1/3 of the dough empty and slice the long outer 1/3 on each side of the dough into diagonal strips strips. Set aside.
- Lay two chocolate bars in the 1/3 center of the dough running lengthwise.
- Starting at the side bottom of the dough alternate wrapping the diagonal strips of the dough over the chocolate bars. Press and form the dough decoratively over the bars.
- Once the sides are covering the top of the dough, press and seal the dough over the chocolate.
- Using a fork, whisk an egg for the egg wash. Using a pastry brush, wash the braided dough completely with the egg wash. You may not use the complete egg. OPTIONAL….Sprinkle the danish with sliced almonds if you wish.
- Place danish in the oven for 15 mins at 400*. At the end of your baking time you may wish to turn your oven to broil to brown the top of your danish for just a minute.
- Let the Keto Chocolate Danish cool a bit before you slice and serve. Enjoy.