Keto Sausage and Peppers
Keto Sausage and Peppers
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi there…me again. Drumming up some Keto Sausage and Peppers for a low carb meal.
The sausage in this dish starts with raw sausage links. Italian sausage is available in most supermarkets either “mild” or “hot” variety. We like the spicy kick of the “hot” sausage in this dish.
The hot links balance well with the sweetness of the peppers and onions. However, the “mild” version of sausage is flavorful and delicious, too.
Red, green, yellow or orange peppers are great in you Keto Sausage and Peppers. Use whatever peppers you have on hand. Also use a variety of onions. Red and yellow are the most common, but white works well in this recipe, too.
A rainbow of colors from all the vegetables always makes for a pleasing and full plate.
Brown the Sausage
Typically a cast iron skillet is what I use for this recipe. I like the heat transfer and the searing of the sausage. Browning all sides of the sausage will take a 1-2 minutes on each side of the sausage.
While the sausage is browning you can be prepping the rest of the Keto Sausage and Peppers recipe.
Once the sausage has browned on all sides you will remove the sausage from the heat. Place the sausage on a cutting board on the side. The sausage will NOT be cooked through at this stage.
Sautéing the Peppers & Onions
While the sausage is browning on all sides you can be slicing up your peppers and onions. I like to slice all the vegetables in ribbons for my Keto Sausage and Peppers.
While the sausage is out of the pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil into your skillet over medium heat. First stir in the onions into the pan for about 1 minute.
Then add in the colorful peppers to the cooking onions. Stir and let the onions and peppers cook for 2-3 minutes.
Slicing the Sausage
Remember we took that seared sausage out of the pan and set it aside? So…while the peppers and onions are dancing in the pan you are going to slice the sausage into rounds.
I like to cut the sausage links on an angle just because its more visually appealing. However, you can cut the sausage as you like. Some people slice in rounds, while others slice the sausage lengthwise for their Keto Sausage and Peppers.
The sausage will be slightly raw or undercooked at this point. Don’t worry! Full cooking of the sausage happens in the next step.
Add the Seasonings & Sausage
At this point in the recipe we add back stuff to the skillet. Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic powder and stir.
Then add in the water and red wine vinegar into the pan.You want to pull up all the brown bits (also known as flavor gold) from the pan.
A little simmering
Last step in the this recipe is to add back the undercooked sausage and give a stir to fully incorporate all the flavors for your Keto Sausage and Peppers.
Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes to cook the sausage all the way through.
Remove the lid of your pan and turn the heat back up on the stovetop. We want to reduce the liquid down on the whole dish.
Give a good stir and let the sausage sear and brown more on all sides. This last step also adds a little more brown to your sausage.
Pin this idea for later!
21 day Keto & Fasting Jump Start Program
If you’re new to low carb and fasting and need someone like me to hold you accountable I have a one on one program. The Kellie Kitchen Accountability Coaching Program…for details click here.
I’ll teach you how to eat delicious food like this recipe for Keto Sausage and Peppers……and still lose weight, look great and feel AMAZING.
However, if you’re a “Do It Yourself” kind of person I have created a workbook to take you through the 21 day Jump Start Journey.
Keto Sausage and Peppers
- 1 lb Italian sausage links mild or hot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion sliced
- 1 cup red onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- ¼ cup parsley fresh and chopped
- Heat skillet over medium+ heat. Then, add the uncooked sausage links. Brown the sausage links for about 2-3 minutes on all the sides.
- The sausage will not be cooked through, but remove the sausages from the skillet. Place sausage on a cutting board. Slice the sausage links into 4-5 diagonal pieces and drape tin foil over them. Set aside.
- Next, add 1 tbsp olive oil to the skillet (still over medium). Add the onions and bell peppers in the same skillet and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- When peppers and onions have started to soften add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red flakes. Continue stirring the peppers and onions for about 3 minutes.
- Pour balsamic vinegar and water into the skillet with the peppers and onions, and scrape the bottom of the skillet to release all the brown bits.
- Put the slices of sausage pieces back into the skillet, stir and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover to cook through for about 10 minutes.
- Then, uncover the skillet and increase the heat to medium. Cook for 3 more minutes or just until the liquid is evaporated and the sausage is cooked completely.
- Top with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctorbefore starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.