Thai Coconut Chicken Soup is another one of those soups that will get you thinking outside of the box. It all started with the feeling that we need a different kind of chicken soup. By changing up the vegetables, adding coconut milk and sprinkling a little cayenne pepper we took the idea of chicken soup somewhere exotic. Who knew these simple changes could develop into one of our favorite soups ALL.WINTER.LONG.
My kids were little when this soup came to me. The girls are now in college and they still love this soup. Thai + Coconut + Chicken aren’t really known as “kid food”, but when they pushed aside the green stuff they actually gulped down the broth and chowed down the chicken. This Thai Coconut Chicken soup can be pulled together and served hot on the table in a short 30 minutes. You can’t go wrong with all white meat chicken in a flavorful broth….am I right?
The inspiration recipe for this Thai Coconut Chicken Soup started as a crab and okra soup, but I don’t even really like crab nor okra. And truth be told, we didn’t have those ingredients in the house either. However, I did have chicken, spinach and zucchini in my fridge and thus a soup was born.
Have you ever had a soup that sips like velvet and has an after kick? Well, that’s what the coconut milk and the cayenne pepper will do. Mix those with a really good chicken stock with the addition of fresh baby spinach and softened zucchini and you’ve got a winner. Try this Thai Coconut Chicken Soup much to your delight….and enjoy!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 scallions chopped including most of the green parts
- 3 lbs zucchini chopped small bite sized pieces (add more if you like a chunkier soup)
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ lb chicken breast cut into bite sized chunks, (use more if you like a chunkier soup)
- 30 oz coconut milk full fat, 2 cans 13-15oz each
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp thyme ground
- ½ lb baby spinach fresh
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Gently heat butter over medium heat. Stir in scallions and cook until softened 1-4 minutes.
- Chop and add zucchini, garlic and cayenne pepper. Stir until zucchini is turning translucent and weeping.
- Add in chicken and stir until cooked through...about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in canned coconut milk, chicken broth and thyme and bring to a slow boil. Add in fresh spinach, stirring to wilt the leaves and incorporate into the broth. Stir until spinach is fully wilted. Turn down heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste broth for need of salt and pepper (you might not need to add depending on your pallet).
- Serve and enjoy.