Keto Mushroom Soup
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shopping the Fridge
The truth is that I really love this Keto Mushroom Soup and it’s super easy and pretty quick. Yesterday my fridge was bursting and I needed to rearrange things.
The real estate in my fridge was going at a high price and it was time to assess what needed to go and what was worthy enough to continue to claim shelf space.
The Fridge Clean Out
I had been shopping the previous and bought this huge pack of pre-sliced white mushroom (about 6-8 cups of mushrooms)…BTW, who needs that many mushrooms at one time?
God only knows why I had so many mushrooms. These mushrooms were begging to be used in a Keto Mushroom Soup. (and they were probably on sale*wink wink*).
Also, way way way in the back of my fridge I had a couple of quarts of heavy cream….again, who in the heck needs that much cream on hand? I do remember buying 4 containers of heavy cream because it had such a long expiration date.
ALSO, it was on sale and I knew I’d use it all by Christmas. My mind started to turn about what I could pull together and that’s when Keto Mushroom Soup popped into my lil head.
Great Mushroom Flavor
The secret to really dense mushroom flavor is to simmer the soup for 1 hour over low heat. This simmering time helps to intensify the flavors. Also, simmering helps to thicken the Keto Mushroom Soup.
Once the mushrooms have wilted down, you add in the stock and the cream and just let those things hang out for a while. Let them dance in the pot until they marry together, like old high school sweethearts.
Great Soup & easy to make
The only thing hard about this soup is to wait for it to finish simmering. Once you have gone through the hour of stovetop time you simply blend and enjoy. Great as leftovers, too!
So…enjoy making this Keto Mushroom soup.
21 day Keto & Fasting Jump Start Program
If you’re new to low carb and fasting and need someone like me to hold you accountable I have a one on one program. The Kellie Kitchen Accountability Coaching Program…for details click here.
I’ll teach you how to eat delicious food like this recipe for Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup and still lose weight, look great and feel AMAZING.
However, if you’re a “Do It Yourself” kind of person I have created a workbook to take you through the 21 day Jump Start Journey.
Keto Mushroom Soup
- In a large stockpot melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add in mushroom and stir to coat. Stir the mushrooms and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. The mushrooms will start to weep and release their moisture.
- Continue to stir the mushrooms about 10 minutes and they will start to brown and caramelize. Once the mushrooms have cooked down add in the chopped onion and stir to coat. Continue cooking the mushroom and onion mixture until the onions start to soften.
- Add in the chicken stock, garlic cloves, water, sherry, thyme, 1/2 tsp salt and bring to a quick boil. Then turn the heat to very low and cover your pot to simmer for 1 hour.
- After the hour of simmering remove the lid and carefully puree your mushroom mixture. I use an immersion blender, but you can transfer to a blender to puree in small batches. If using a stand alone blender you will then transfer your soup back into a clean pan.
- Once the soup is fully blended stir in the heavy cream until all combined. Last step is to sprinkle the xanthan gum like pixie dust over the soup while whisking.
- Season salt and pepper to taste.
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctorbefore starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.