Low Carb Lasagna
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Italian flavors
Classic tomato meat sauce with oregano, garlic and cheese are the real stars in lasagna. The carb filled starch paste sheets (AKA noodles) in traditional lasagna are merely a glue to hold all the flavors together.
But…in my Low Carb Lasagna the starch paste sheets are NOT needed. As we bake together the meat sauce and the cheeses this recipe can be served with a large spoon right onto your plate.
The mix of meat
A mix of ground beef and Italian sausage gives the punch of Italian flavor to this recipe. I use either hot or mild sausage and brown with the ground beef in this Low Carb Lasagna.
Eventually we saute in the onions, oregano and garlic powder to bring together all the Italian flavors. The meat will render off grease that needs to be removed from the pan before you proceed.
I spoon out the excess grease and discard. I also use a wad of paper towels to blot out the excess grease to help the meat sauce thicken as the whole Low Carb Lasagna is pulled together.
Rao’s Marinara Sauce
Always my go-to low carb marinara sauce is a brand called Rao’s Marinara Sauce. It’s delicious and has only real ingredients. Of all the brand you can buy, this one is slightly more expensive, but worth it.
This recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce. Feel free to make your own marinara, or find one ready made that is no sugar added.
Simple Cast Iron Skillet
This is a simple one skillet meal. From stove top to oven to table makes this meal not only easy to make, but also easy to clean up.
When you get to the baking part your skillet must be oven proof. I like to use the fool proof cast iron skillet. It’s sturdy and even beautiful to set right on the dinner table. The hot iron will keep the Low Carb Lasagna warm all through dinner time.
It can be a little difficult to clean, but mostly just because it’s so heavy. Make sure to completely dry the iron as you do not want any rust to form.
No Noodles needed
I mentioned above the starch paste sheets AKA noodles. I often refer to all these carb bases as merely a delivery system. There’s no real need for pasta, potatoes, tortillas, rice, etc except as a way to deliver the food to your mouth.
How about using a fork instead? Seriously, all the flavors of Low Carb Lasagna are in the meat sauce and the cheese. The cheap noodles are an attempt to hold the sauce and cheese together.
You don’t need the noodles. Just use a fork.
Traditional Italian Cheese Mix
A simple mix of mozzarella and parmesan (both shredded) are mixed throughout this dish.Half of the cheeses are mixed right into the ricotta.
Add an egg, oregano and garlic powder are mixed into the creamy ricotta cheese. This creamy mix is spooned into the meat sauce and then smoothed over the top of the Low Carb Lasagna.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of your skillet dish. This top cheese will bake into the ricotta and create a bubbly cheese crust.
Stove Top then a quick Bake
We take our Low Carb Lasagna in the skillet from the stove top and directly into a 400* oven.
This is a quick bake for 12 minutes to cook the egg and bring all the flavors together. Once the keto friendly Lasagna is done baking for 12 minutes, the meat sauce will be bubbling and the cheese on top will be melted.
I like to turn the oven to broil for 1-3 minutes to brown and crisp the cheese on top. Then I carefully remove this skillet from the oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Letting the skillet cool down gives the dish a chance to meld together. Making this easy to spoon out onto the plate. Serve with a side salad for a hearty dinner.
Storage for Left Overs
If you have any Low Carb Lasagna left is stores beautifully is the fridge. It’s a great work lunch ready to be reheated in the microwave for just a few minutes.
Pin this idea for later!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb italian sausage hot or mild
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 ½ cup marinara sauce Rao’s brand
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 eggs
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- ⅔ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup parsley or basil chopped for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and ground sausage together, about 10-15 minutes. Drain the excess fat and return the skillet with the meat to the stovetop over medium heat.
- Helpful note is to push all the meat to one side. Using a good sized wad of paper towels blot the excess grease and liquid from the pan. Then toss the grease filled paper towels in the garbage.
- With the skillet over medium heat, add the chopped onion to the meat. Saute onions until it begins to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce, 1/2 tsp oregano and 1/2 tsp garlic powder into the meat sauce and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl (while the meat sauce is simmering), mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, half of the mozzarella, and half of the Parmesan.
- Stir in the remaining oregano and garlic powder to the cheese mixture until completely mixed. Set aside.
- Turn off the heat for the skillet. Spread the meat mixture around the pan and smooth in an even layer. Place spoonfuls of the ricotta cheese mixture around the pan. Press some of the ricotta spoonfuls to the bottom of the meat sauce.
- Dot the top of the meat sauce with the remaining ricotta mixture. Gently smooth the top layer ricotta with your spoon to level out the top. Sprinkle the top of your skillet with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake for 15 minutes until bubbling and cooked through. Turn your oven to broil and brown the top of your Low Carb Lasagna for 1-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or fresh basil, if desired. Serve warm.
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctorbefore starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.
My secret to lasting weight loss
Maintaining my weight loss, and quite frankly staying healthy, has always been the main driver for this website. Making meals like this Low Carb Lasagna is really my trick.
Sorry, it’s that simple for me…I meal prep and almost always cook at home.
I wrote a few articles about this and will write more. Everyone needs to know that cooking at home is one of my major keys to success.
Every meal does not have to be epic.
When I am prepared I have a much better chance at success and maintaining my best health.
- The Diet That Changed My Life
- My 80 – 20 Rule
- Re-Thinking Healthy Food
- Life with a Keto Mom
- My Favorite Low Carb & Keto Resources