Some of the links included are affiliate links, which means that if you choose to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you. I recommend these products because they are helpful and useful; not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something.
Italian Low Carb Almond Cakes
Not sure why, but I think of most New Yorkers as Italian. They’re not, but my memories of living in the Northeast are of times we visited the famous Arthur Ave in the Bronx and the assertive cab drivers.
There seemed to be this energy in the air of passionate people that love food and their families. So when I think of New York I think Italian. And when I think of Italian I think family meals.
Clearly I am not Italian. I’m as Irish as they get, but I that passion for food that only an Italian grandmother would have. So, when I was thinking of new recipes and what would an Italian grandmother make I remembered the classic beautiful not low carb almond cakes I would see as I shopped New York City Italian bakeries.
I also wanted to make mention that I like to make desserts in single portion size. When I make a whole cake or pie it’s usually for a party. These muffin sized cakes are perfect for single servings and are great for storing in the freezer.
I like to use olive oil in my Low Carb Almond Cakes. Instead of using butter the olive oil gives an unbelievable moistness. The extra virgin olive oil gives the mini delights an airiness that most cake don’t seem to have. However, the muffin top of this cake has a nice crunch.
This part is optional and totally up to you, but the almonds on top are quite pretty. I usually sprinkle on the sliced almonds towards the end of the baking so they don’t burn.
Staying on track
Using a simple dessert like this every now and again really helps me stay on track with my health and fitness. I don’t need to be eating these Low Carb Almond Cakes all the time, but an occasional treat is satisfying and delicious.
- ¼ cup almonds sliced
- 1-2 tbsp Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener powdered
- Preheat oven to 350* and line 12 muffin cups with parchment paper liners.
- Pour the batter into each of the 12 muffin cups and bake for 25-30 minutes. (optional) At the 20 minute mark open the oven and carefully sprinkle a few slices of almond on each cake. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes. Cakes should be just slightly browned on the edges.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sweetener.
Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible. While we do use a standard web-based nutrition calculator, we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.
To calculate Net Carb count with sugar alcohols, we simply subtract grams of sugar alcohols (including glycerin), as well as fiber, from total grams of carbs.
Healthier skin, too!
My Beautycounter Side Gig
To place a Beautycounter order, go here: beautycounter.com/kellielogsdon
I’m a Beautycounter devotee and I truly love this company and their products, hence my Beautycounter Side Gig. I love their mission, their products and their affordable pricing for high-quality, safer products.
I’m super careful about what I put into my body by selecting and eating healthy food (like my low carb almond cakes), so it’s kind of silly I haven’t been more careful about what I put into my body through the skincare products I use. Not anymore.
This is what I use…
- The Dew Skin tinted moisturizer was my first favorite product. I use the #2 for light and medium skin tones.
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer
- Foundation (more full coverage than Dew Skin but still natural looking)
- Cream blush and Powder blush
- Cream highlighters and Powder highlighters
- Matte bronzer and Radiant bronzers
- Eye makeup — eyeshadows, brow products, eyeliners, mascara
- Lip products — lipsticks, lip sheers, lip glosses and lip conditioners