Some of the links included are affiliate links, which means that if you choose to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you. I recommend these products because they are helpful and useful; not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something.
If you’re like me casseroles for family dinner are a staple. A traditional lasagna casserole was always great to feed a crowd and have as leftovers.
But what about those carb filled noodles?
Regular lasagna noodles used in a traditional lasagna could make one serving of lasagna 30-40g carbs. We wanted to have our lasagna without all the carbs.
Hearty Keto Family Meal
Not everyone in our house is low carb, but they should be. However, I have to realize that everyone is on their own journey. Piper has her own view on Life with a Keto Mom.
That’s why this keto lasagna is so perfect…your family will not even know you did not use carb noodles. This recipe is inspired by Maria Emmerich’s Protein Noodle Lasagna, although this recipe is slightly different.
Low Carb Noodle Sub
Have you tried zucchini noodles to reduce carbs? Ya…me too. Zucchini noodles taste good and are a good substitute, but I usually end up with lasagna soup.
Another substitute my keto peeps use is fathead dough. Yes, Fathead Dough can taste great and reduce carbs…but come on! Fathead dough is labor intensive for this lasagna purpose.
This is where I tell you my new favorite noodle substitute for Keto Lasagna…
Turkey deli slices.
Yep, you heard me. I use sliced plain deli turkey as noodles in this recipe to greatly reduce the carbs. Boars Head brand is probably the cleanest deli turkey available, but I also used Hillshire Farms.
Use whatever turkey or chicken sliced deli meat you like, but CHECK THE CARBS. Avoid honey or maple glaze as that adds carbs.
Is Marinara Keto?
Tomatoes are naturally slightly higher in carbs. And of course they are because they are naturally sweet.
Most commercially bottles marinara sauces have added sugar and fillers. You need to read labels and ingredient lists. Of course the best marinara would be a homemade. However, that is not always practical.
I use Rao’s brand marinara sauce. It tastes the best and has relatively low carb count. The marinara sauce used in this Keto Lasagna is also kept to a minimum without missing the traditional Italian flavors.
Keto Lasagna Assembly
The assembly of this Keto Lasagna is very similar to traditional lasagna. I like to layer like this…
- meat sauce first
- then deli slice layer
- top deli slices with ricotta mixture
- sprinkle with half the cheese
Keto Lasagna is 8 hearty servings to feed a whole family. However, if you are cooking just for yourself this meal is great for batch cooking and leftovers.
Store extras in individual servings in the freezer for up to a month. Simply thaw to room temp and then pop in the microwave to reheat.
Keto Skillet Lasagna
If you want to take it a step easier you can try my Keto Skillet Lasagna.
21 day Keto & Fasting Jump Start Program
If you’re new to low carb and fasting and need someone like me to hold you accountable I have a one on one program. The Kellie Kitchen Accountability Coaching Program…for details click here.
I’ll teach you how to eat delicious food like this recipe for Keto Lasagna and still lose weight, look great and feel AMAZING.
However, if you’re a “Do It Yourself” kind of person I have created a workbook to take you through the 21 day Jump Start Journey.
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 1/2 cup low carb marinara sauce Rao's Brand
- 12 oz ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb deli turkey, thin sliced Boar's Head Oven Gold
- 2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350*
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat and start to soften the onion. Add the ground beef to the skillet and continue to stir. Cook until the ground beef is cooked through.
- Stir in the marinara sauce and turn off heat.
- While beef is browning, mix together the eggs, ricotta, garlic and salt in a small side bowl.
- Spoon half of the meat mixture into the bottom of a large 9×12 heavy casserole dish. Place a layer of deli meat slice over the meat sauce. Spoon half of the ricotta mixture over the deli slices.
- Using the back of your spoon spread the ricotta mixture to smooth over the deli slices. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese evenly over the ricotta layer.
- Repeat the process by adding the second half of the meat mixture over the mozzarella layer. Then the second layer of deli meat over the meat mixture. Spread the second half of the ricotta over the deli meat. Sprinkle with second half of mozzarella over the ricotta and then sprinkle with the parmesan.
- Bake your Keto Lasagna for 30 minutes at 350*. When finished turn your oven to broil and brown the top of your lasagna for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from over and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Slice or scoop into 8 hearty servings.
Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible. While we do use a standard web-based nutrition calculator, we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.
To calculate Net Carb count with sugar alcohols, we simply subtract grams of sugar alcohols (including glycerin), as well as fiber, from total grams of carbs.