One of the easiest and cheapest Keto meals on the block-Egg Roll in a Bowl. This meal is easily on our meal plan at least a few times per month. The other thing I love about this dish is that its a one pot meal. That means less clean up for me and my eaters. Truth be told they practically lick the pans because this is so delicious, so not a whole lot of cleaning any way.
Stock your pantry well
If you have a well stocked pantry with all different kinds of seasonings then whipping together Egg Roll in a Bowl can be on the table in less than 30 minutes. The only funky things you might need to invest in are dark sesame oil for the pantry and sriracha for the fridge. Everything else needed to pull this recipe together you should have on hand.
You know those bags of shredded cabbage you can buy at the supermarket? Well get 2 of them (on sale would be a bonus) and a pound of ground turkey and you’re close to done on making this meal. Yesterday the bags of cabbage were on sale for $.99 each.
I get my ground turkey from ButcherBox, so I always have that in the freezer and its discounted too. I can feed our family of 3 with leftovers for all 3 of us the next day. I’d say pretty inexpensive.
The Spicy Sauce
The pop of flavor happens when you marry the Egg Roll in a Bowl with the spicy aioli sauce. Aioli is just a fancy word for spicy mayo sauce. It’s a simple 3 ingredient mix that packs a ton of flavor when drizzled over your one dish meal.
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 32 oz green cabbage shredded
- 3 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger root (fresh or ground)
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce or hot sauce of choice
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds toasted or not
- 2 scallions sliced on the bias
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- ½ cup mayo homemade or store bought
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- Oil very large skillet. Brown ground turkey (you can use ground chicken, too). Salt and Pepper. Set aside in serving bowl.
- In same skillet on medium to high heat 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add garlic, onion and scallion to soften. In batches add the green shredded cabbage. There’s a lot of it but it will cook down enough to fit in the pan.
- As cabbage is cooking down add 2-4 Tbsp sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger root, Sriracha sauce and balsamic vinegar. Continue cooking and turning mixture over to coat everything with all the flavors.
- Salt and pepper the mixture to your liking (I use about ½ a tsp of each salt and pepper). Add back the browned meat in to the skillet and toss with the cabbage mixture to heat through.
- As that’s finishing up on the stove mix together the mayo, Sriracha and sour cream to a smooth consistency with a fork or spoon.
- Put cabbage and meat mixture back into serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds and scallions (cut on the bias looks nice)
- Serve….A dollop of spicy aioli on top of your Egg roll in a bowl is delightful!
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.