This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pumpkin Sausage Soup
The second the kids are on the bus back to school we go into pumpkin mode. Most of my pumpkin recipes are sweet, but I started think of ways to bring a savory turn to my kitchen. Pumpkin Sausage Soup is the perfect combo of pumpkin, yet still a savory one pot dinner.
You can use spicy of mild Italian sausage in this soup…we prefer a little kick with our pumpkin, so we use the spicy version.
I get raw sausage in the casing and then I simply cut the casing off and squeeze the sausage right back into the pan. There are so many choices when you get to the super market. It’s best to pick a sausage with ingredients you can read.
Some sausage factories add in a ton of fillers and sugar to their sausage, so be careful. I like to use Cantella’s sausage, which is widely available at most markets, but anything you like will work.
Be sure to use 100% pure pumpkin puree. I like to use a brand like this one.
Pumpkin Sausage Soup is great for a cold Fall lunch or served at dinner all by itself.
So Many Pumpkin Things
- DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
- Pumpkin Sausage Soup
- Low Carb Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Bisque
- Keto Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Pecan Tart
- Keto Pumpkin Crumble
21 day Keto & Fasting Jump Start Program
If you’re new to low carb and fasting and need someone like me to hold you accountable I have a one on one program. The Kellie Kitchen Accountability Coaching Program…for details click here.
I’ll teach you how to eat delicious food like this Pumpkin Sausage Soup and still lose weight, look great and feel AMAZING.
However, if you’re a “Do It Yourself” kind of person I have created a workbook to take you through the 21 day Jump Start Journey.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 lb Italian sausage spicy or mild, casings off
- 2 cups cauliflower small florettes
- 15 oz pumpkin puree unsweetened
- 4 cups kale chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup cream
- Heat olive oil in large heavy pot stock pot on medium high. Sauté onion, garlic, celery and red pepper for 2-4 mins until onion starts to get translucent.
- Cut sausage from its casings and put into onion mixture. Using your sturdy wooden spoon break up the sausage as it cooks among the vegetable medley.
- Cook sausage for 3-5 minutes until cooked through and no more pink. Add in the cauliflower and stir to coat. Then stir in the pumpkin purée and cook to heat the pumpkin through.
- Toss in the chopped kale and give it a stir to coat with the sausage juices. The kale will be large, but it will wilt down.
- Pour In the chicken stock over the kale and stir all together. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a quick boil. Cover, reduce the heat down to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and then add cream to heat through. Serve and enjoy.
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctorbefore starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.
Pin this idea for later!