Strawberry Jel Cups
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Strawberry Jel Cups
This company and their products are a new find for me. I am always on the lookout for low carb and healthier versions of our everyday products. Available on amazon here or at a few Whole Foods Markets you can find 6 flavors of the jel dessert.
This product makes it possible for me to have these Strawberry Jel Cups without having to compromise my health with the other well-known brand found in EVERY market.
Gelatin vs. Carrageenan
Because I am using a pre-packaged product from Simply Delish there is no gelatin in this recipe. I am not opposed to using gelatin at all. However, the other well known brand name product that uses gelatin is also filled with dyes and artificial sweeteners.
“Carrageenan is an additive used to thicken, emulsify, and preserve foods and drinks. It’s a natural ingredient that comes from red seaweed (also called Irish moss). You’ll often find this ingredient in nut milks, meat products, and yogurt.” -healthline.com
Carrageenan can be found in many items you will find at your supermarket from almond milk to yogurt to baby formula.
You will find a few differing views on it’s health benefits. However This article here sheds some light on why carrageenan is perfectly acceptable to consume.
Plain Sour Cream
Trust me 🙏🙏🙏
Seems weird, I know, to be adding plain sour cream to this dessert. However, the creamy tartness of the sour cream coupled with the sweet, fruity jelly is a flavor combo not to be missed.
Yes, plain old regular sour cream. Don’t add anything to the sour cream. Just stir to creaminess and use it as a layer to these Strawberry Jel Cups.
Assembly & Layers
Let’s face it, the layers look really pretty on this dessert.
You will make the first package of Simply Delish jel and divide equally among 4 cups. Place those in the fridge for at least an hour to set and jel to firm.
Next you will spoon on about 2 tablespoons of sour cream on top of each cup of firmed up jel. Smooth the top of the sour cream and seal to completely cover the jel. The sour cream layer will keep both layers of jel completely separate.
Place the cups back in the fridge while you work on the next layer of Simply Delish Jel. Make the second package of jel and cool to room temperature. Usually about 15-20 minutes of sitting on the counter will bring down the temperature slowly as to not set too fast.
Once the second package of strawberry jel is at room temperature gently and equally spoon it over the sour cream layer. Place the 4 cups back into the fridge to set over night.
This second layer will set up in about an hour in the fridge. However, to get the Strawberry Jel Cup to be more firm it is best to chill them overnight. The more time in the fridge will give you a set dessert to serve.
Skip the layers
I know the layering takes a long time with the setting and the cooling time. If you don’t care to take all the sets you can skip it all. Make both packages of the Simply Delish Jel and divide between 4 cups.
Let the jel set in the cup for a few hours in the fridge. Then top with sour cream for a SUPER easy dessert.
Just before you serve this dessert, top each of the Strawberry Jel Cups with a little dollop of sour cream or some sliced strawberries if you like. It’s a beautiful presentation and a lovely way to end the evening or to have as an afternoon treat.
Store the Strawberry Jel Cups in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Gently cover each cup with plastic wrap.
21 day Keto & Fasting Jump Start Program
If you’re new to low carb and fasting and need someone like me to hold you accountable I have a one on one program. The Kellie Kitchen Accountability Coaching Program…for details click here.
I’ll teach you how to eat delicious food and still lose weight, look great and feel AMAZING.
However, if you’re a “Do It Yourself” kind of person I have created a workbook to take you through the 21 day Jump Start Journey.
Strawberry Jel Cups
- 2 boxes sugar free flavored jel dessert mix Simply Delish
- 2/3 cup COLD water
- 2 2/3 cup BOILING water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup strawberries optional
1st Jel layer – Simply Delish Package Directions
- Make one of the packages of jel dessert as directed on package. In a pourable container first add 1/3 cup COLD water and flavored jel powder together and stir.
- Next add 1 1/3 cup hot/boiling water to the cold mixture. Stir until all the jel mixture is dissolved. Add in the chopped berries if using.
- Set up 4 serving cups. Pour 1/4 of the hot mixture into each of the 4 servings cups. Place your serving cups in the fridge for at least 1-2hour to set.
Sour Cream Layer
- After 1 hour, remove the serving cups from the fridge. Spoon 2 tbsp of sour cream onto the top of each of the set jel already in the cups. Gently smooth the layer of sour cream to seal/separate the first layer in the bottom of the cup. Put back in the fridge.
2nd Jel Layer
- Make second package of Jel mixture according to package instruction. Set aside on the counter and let cool for about 15-30 minutes. 2nd jel mixture MUST be at room temperature or close to room temperature before you can add on top of the sour cream layer.
- Equally divide this remaining jel by gently spooning onto each of the 4 servings cups on top of the sour cream layer to create the next layer of your dessert.
- Place the 4 servings cups back in the fridge and let set overnight or for at least 8 hours. Overnight or even a few days will really firm up the jel layers.
- When ready to serve your jel dessert place a small dollop of sour cream on top of each cup. Garnish for presentation and serve.