Keto Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
I have always loved those little passed hors d’oeuvres at parties. Did you know those are usually filled with breadcrumbs? I switched up this recipe for my Keto Stuffed Mushrooms to drop the bread and add in extra sausage.
Less Clean Up…Yes, please!
Another twist on this traditional recipe is that all the cooking is done in one step. No browning the sausage first for these Keto Stuffed Mushrooms.
One of the draw backs I find to cooking dinner is the having to do many steps and extra clean up. With this recipe we are skipping the browning in the pan. Why brown the meat first and then cook it again? I never understood that.
Italian sausage is easily found at most supermarkets in link or block form. Usually it’s in link form at the market, which is perfectly fine for this recipe. If you happen to get the links you will cut the casing off the sausage before adding to the bowl to mix.
Italian sausage comes in mild or hot seasonings. I use mild for my Keto Stuffed Mushrooms, but please use whatever you like. The hot version has a nice spicy kick to it and adds dimension.
In traditional stuffed mushrooms the smaller button size is used. It has always been more of an appetizer or side dish. However, now we are bringing this recipe to the center stage.
Using large portobello mushrooms for these Keto Stuffed Mushrooms makes this a main meal option for family dinners. The mushrooms will always be different sizes, so you will have to portion out the meat mixture for each serving.
Smaller white mushrooms will absolutely work for this recipe. Just divide the meat mixture equally into maybe 18-20 smaller mushrooms. You may also have to adjust the cooking time, but it should be about the same time.
This recipe calls for 400* and about 30 minutes of total cook time. I am all about getting dinner on the table fast. However, if you want to dial that back you can turn the oven down to 350* and go for 45 minutes.
The key it to get the meat mixture fully cooked through and still have the mushrooms soft and slightly weeping their juices.
I like to let the Stuffed Mushrooms sit for 3-5 minutes after I take them out of the oven. This helps to firm them up a bit and cool them slightly so you don’t burn your mouth.
At the 20 minute mark you will add a sprinkle of shredded parmesan to the top of each of your Keto Stuffed Mushrooms. Then bake for ANOTHER 10 minutes (30 minutes of total baking time for this dish).
Last part of the cooking is that I crank up the oven to broil for a few minutes. Gotta love the cheese getting a little crisp and bubbly.
We usually love a big leafy salad with loads of vegetables with our dinners. Dr. Berg always mentions “7 cups of vegetable” per day and we strive for that benchmark.
This main dish is already a big fat mushroom so we may go a little lighter on the salad for this meal.
However, a great pairing with Keto Stuffed Mushrooms is my spicy Caesar Salad. Using crispy and crunchy romaine lettuce in this side salad gives the plate some texture. Here is the recipe for the dressing. I add avocado, too.
Storage and Left Overs
Each one of these Keto Stuffed Mushrooms is a meal. Sometimes I have two mushrooms per meal. If you’re just cooking for yourself then you will have leftovers to store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to a weeks worth of meals.
For reheating simply place your Keto Stuffed Mushrooms on a microwave safe place and reheat for 1-3 minutes or until hot.
Need help with your Keto Journey?
21 day Keto & Fasting Jump Start Program
If you’re new to low carb and fasting and need someone like me to hold you accountable I have a one on one program. The Kellie Kitchen Accountability Coaching Program…for details click here.
I’ll teach you how to eat delicious food like these Keto Stuffed Mushrooms and still lose weight, look great and feel AMAZING.
However, if you’re a “Do It Yourself” kind of person I have created a workbook to take you through the 21 day Jump Start Journey.
Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
- 5 portobello mushrooms large
- 1 lb Italian sausage mild and casings removed
- ½ onion grated
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400* and line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Carefully remove stems from the portobello mushrooms and finely chop the stems. Place the portobello mushroom tops on the rimmed baking sheet with cup side up.
- In a large bowl mix and mash together sausage, grated onion, chopped mushroom stems, softened cream cheese and seasonings.
- Equally divide the meat mixture and place on top and into the cup side of the portobello mushrooms. Spread meat mixture to the edges of the portobello mushroom and smooth the top slightly. The meat mixture will have a slightly rounded top on each portobello mushroom.
- Place rimmed baking sheet in the 400* oven for 20 minutes. At the 20 minute mark open the oven and sprinkle the parmesan cheese equally on to each mushroom. Then turn the baking sheet in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- This last part is optional, but I love a browned cheesy top. Turn your oven to broil and brown the cheese top for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley (optional) Serve and enjoy.
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctorbefore starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.
My Journey to health & wellness
My secret to lasting weight loss
Maintaining my weight loss, and quite frankly staying healthy, has always been the main driver for this website. Making dinners like these Keto Stuffed Mushrooms is really my trick.
Sorry, it’s that simple for me…I meal prep and almost always cook at home.
I wrote a few articles about this and will write more. Everyone needs to know that cooking at home is one of my major keys to success.
Every meal does not have to be epic.
When I am prepared I have a much better chance at success and maintaining my best health.
- The Diet That Changed My Life
- My 80 – 20 Rule
- Re-Thinking Healthy Food
- Life with a Keto Mom
- My Favorite Low Carb & Keto Resources