Keto Tomato Soup
Some of the links included are affiliate links, which means that if you choose to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you. I recommend these products because they are helpful and useful; not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something.
The story of Keto Tomato Soup starts with Oprah! The first time I ever made Tomato Bisque I followed a vegan recipe I heard on Oprah a bazillion years ago. Oprah was going vegan and so was I!
It didn’t work for me…I could never break up with cheese.
Many years later when I had tried another 10 or so dieting tricks I came across Keto and I’m never looking back.
Real Cream over Vegan Cream
When I made my new version of Keto Tomato Soup I could have used the cashew cream, however cashews are on the higher side of the carb limit.
Plus cashew cream is a pain in the ass to make. All the nuts soaking and blending and straining is a total buzz kill. I substituted heavy cream for the cashew cream and used chicken stock instead of vegetable stock.
Oprah’s version was great but my version of Keto Tomato Soup is better.
I love this Keto Tomato Soup because I usually have all the ingredients in my kitchen and can whip it together in less than 30 minutes.
Chaffles as the perfect side
A perfect Summer Keto Tomato Soup…alone or with a crispy chaffle is great for an afternoon lunch. Chaffles are an easy and delicious side that mimics bread. They can also be made into a grilled cheese as well.
Chaffles are a mix of egg, mozzarella cheese and a little almond flour. Change up the seasoning to go savory or sweet.
I like to add zucchini and cheddar to my chaffles for a more elaborate recipe. It add some green to my plate and some new textures. Plus…zucchini is in abundance during the late summer months and I’m always looking for ways to use it up.
This soup uses canned tomatoes straight from your pantry. Who doesn’t have a can of tomatoes in their pantry at all times? This should be a staple and they last a long time, so stock up.
Feel free to use fresh August tomatoes, too! Summer tomatoes are plentiful and so full of flavor.
*I wonder if I could cut that time in half with my Instant Pot???
Oh, and also…..my Keto Tomato Soup freezes beautifully.
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup red pepper chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 28 oz canned whole tomatoes juice included, can be fire roasted or regular
- ¼ cup basil fresh, packed
- 1 tbsp parsley dry
- ½ tsp thyme dry
- 2 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat on the stove top. Sprinkle the bottom of pot with a pinch of salt and heat 1 minute. Add the butter and stir until melted, being careful not to let it brown or burn. This will create a nonstick effect.
- Add the onion, red pepper, celery, and the garlic and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chicken stock, canned tomatoes with juice, basil, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Whisk in the xanthan gum to help thicken the soup. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer (do not boil) for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Using an immersion blender carefully puree your tomatoes and all the vegetables and stock.
- Stir in the cream to thoroughly heat.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy.
My secret to lasting weight loss
Maintaining my weight loss, and quite frankly staying healthy, has always been the main driver for this website. Making soups like this Keto Tomato Soup is really my trick.
Sorry, it’s that simple for me…I meal prep and almost always cook at home.
I wrote a few articles about this and will write more. Everyone needs to know that cooking at home is one of my major keys to success.
Every meal does not have to be epic.
When I am prepared I have a much better chance at success and maintaining my best health.
- The Diet That Changed My Life
- My 80 – 20 Rule
- Re-Thinking Healthy Food
- Life with a Keto Mom
- My Favorite Low Carb & Keto Resources
Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible. While we do use a standard web-based nutrition calculator, we make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.
To calculate Net Carb count with sugar alcohols, we simply subtract grams of sugar alcohols (including glycerin), as well as fiber, from total grams of carbs.