This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Low Carb Broccoli Cheddar Soup
When soup season hits I go straight into batch cooking mode. Low Carb Broccoli Cheddar makes the rotation about once a month and it’s received well every time. Soups are so so great because when I make them there’s enough for a crowd, and if no one shows up for the party then I get to freeze individual servings for lunches and future dinners.
Low Carb Broccoli Cheddar is a classic and one that I usually avoided when I was told to go “low fat for health” because it was high in fat. But there are so many nutrients in broccoli and now that we can enjoy fat responsibly this soup is the perfect cup of high fat and low carb.
You will have to add a protein on the side if you’d like to hit your macros as a meal, but that’s totally up to you.
Now that we know better and that fat is our friend I can make this soup low carb or keto friendly by omitting the carrots and flour. We have other ways to make Low Carb Broccoli Cheddar soup thick and creamy…read on and follow below.
Other Favorite Soups
- Sausage Kale Cauliflower
- Cream of Mushroom
- Chicken Chile Verde Soup
- Zucchini Blue Cheese Soup
- Pumpkin Sausage Soup
- 4 cups broccoli florets plus stems
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cup onion
- 1 cup celery
- 5 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ tsp xanthan gum
- Cut up broccoli into small pieces and shred your cheese then separately set aside.
- In a large stockpot or heavy dutch oven (cast iron pot) add the butter, onion, celery, salt and pepper to your pan and cook until onions and celery are translucent.
- Add your broccoli florets and cook for additional 2-3 minutes or until broccoli turn bright green. Then add chicken broth and bring to a boil. With a soup ladle, carefully remove 1 cup of cooked soft florets and 1 cup broth into a blender or large bowl. Using a hand emulsifier or just your blender, blend this batch of broccoli and broth into a smooth thick puree and then add back to your large pot.
- Turn down the heat and let the soup simmer. Then slowly add the shredded cheese while continuously stirring soup. The continuous stirring will help the cheese fully melt into the cream and broccoli.
- Once the cheese is melted and incorporated into the soup, then add the xanthan gum and stir until soup thickens even more.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctorbefore starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.