Lemon Chicken Soup
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lemon Chicken Soup
When I lived in the North East there was a large contingency of Greek diners usually open at all hours of the day and night with menus a mile long.
Of course I was always freezing from October to May and loved all the soups available.
One of my go-to take out meals was a cup of Avgolemono Chicken soup aka Lemon Chicken Soup.
This light but creamy soup is perfect anytime, but especially as you head into spring.
Using premade chicken breast and/or thighs for this Lemon Chicken Soup makes this soup come together in less than 30 minutes.
I’ve taken this simple Lemon Chicken Soup recipe, which usually calls for white rice and I’ve taken the carbs way down.
By replacing the rice with cauliflower one serving of this soup is only about 5g net carbs.
The flavor of this soup is the lemon and the chicken. The cauliflower rice is really just for the texture. This substitute gives the soup and nice chew with each spoonful.
This is just a process of mixing a little bit of the hot stock into the yolks before you add the yolks into the hot soup.
Egg yolks thicken this soup, but we also add just a sprinkle of glucomannan (konjac flour). This thickener can be found in the supplement section and is zero net carbs.
A little glucomannan goes a long way. Be sure to sprinkle and whisk the Lemon Chicken Soup at the same time to thicken your soup.
Place leftover Lemon Chicken Soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Reheat and stir to enjoy later in the week.
21 day Keto & Fasting Jump Start Program
If you’re new to low carb and fasting and need someone like me to hold you accountable I have a one on one program. The Kellie Kitchen Accountability Coaching Program…for details click here.
I’ll teach you how to eat delicious food and still lose weight, look great and feel AMAZING.
However, if you’re a “Do It Yourself” kind of person I have created a workbook to take you through the 21 day Jump Start Journey.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower riced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dill
- 1/2 tsp glucomannan to thicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, stirring until softened for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the cauliflower rice into the onion mixture until fully coated.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a rapid simmer for 5 -7 minutes. Take 1/2 cup of the hot stock and set aside in a pourable container. Turn down the heat to low on the stock pot.
Temper the eggs
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks until fully mixed and creamy. While still whisking the yolks, slowly pour the 1/2 cup of hot stock into the egg yolks. This brings the temperature up on the eggs without scrambling them.
- Once the eggs have been tempered, add the tempered egg yolks back into the large stock pot.
- Add the lemon juice, shredded chicken, and dill to the pot. Then, while using a whisk sprinkle in the glucomannan to the soup.
- Simmer the soup and heat through until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning to your desired taste with salt, pepper, and/or additional lemon juice.
- Stir in the dill and serve. Enjoy!
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctorbefore starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.