Needing a little sweet treat now and again I have my trusty Low Carb Chocolate Pecans stashed away in my freezer. And, I mean way back in my freezer, because if I see them I will eat them. These little treats are so easy and quick to make using just 3 ingredients.
There’s something about roasting the pecans first that brings out the deep nutty pecan flavor in these Low Carb Chocolate Pecans. I roast a whole tray full and let them cool completely (but not cold) before I dip them in my melted Lily’s Stevia Sweetened Chocolate Chips. If you use cold nuts them when mixed with the melted chocolate they get clumpy. Yes, thats a word and I have no other technical way of sharing that tip. The point is that when you’re making these Low Carb Chocolate Pecans you don’t want the nuts cold until AFTER you dip them in the melted chocolate…trust me!
- 1 lb pecans
- 9 oz Lily’s Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350*
- On large rimmed cookie sheet place the pecans in a single layer. Roast in oven for 5 minutes. Toss around at 5mins and maybe roast another 3-4 minutes. You want the nuts to get darker without burning. There is a fine line between roasted and burnt, so watch the nuts. Just know that less time in the oven is better as once they get a tad too crisp the nuts will turn bitter.
- Once the nuts are roasted and cooled it's time to melt the chocolate chips in the microwave (or do this over a double boiler if you're so inclined). Place the chips in a microwave safe bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and stir. In 30 second increments melt the chips, stirring in between.
- Have a clean sheet of parchment paper or foil on a flat cookie sheet. You need the cookie sheet to transport and store in the freezer. One by one dip 3/4 of each nut into the chocolate and gently place onto the the cookie sheet. You can line these up as closely as possible as they will freeze without touching each other.
- Make room in your freezer to put the cookie sheet. The sheet need to freeze for about 15-30 minutes and then you can transfer the frozen nuts to a ziploc bag to store in fridge or freezer.
- These roasted chocolate pecans are great on their own or chopped over a scoop of full fat greek yogurt.