This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A non-egg Low Carb Breakfast
This savory muffin that tastes just like an Egg McMuffin…except way lower in carbs. These Ham and Cheese Muffins are only 3g net carbs and easy to make!
How many times are you running out the door trying to get the kids to school and yourself to work? You may not even have time to eat, but you want to have something healthy and low carb on hand. The Ham and Cheese Muffins are the perfect on-the-go meal.
Bake a batch
I make a dozen of these Ham and Cheese Muffins at a time. They are so perfect to keep in the fridge or freezer. We eat them on their own or pair a muffin with a great cup of soup (we love soups in The Kellie Kitchen).
Favorite Soup Recipes
- Sausage Kale Cauliflower
- Cream of Mushroom
- Chicken Chile Verde Soup
- Zucchini Blue Cheese Soup
- Pumpkin Sausage Soup
A Basic Recipe
Here’s the thing about the Ham and Cheese Muffins…anyone can make them. There is nothing fancy about these muffins, except the pan they’re made in. (Did I mention I love USA PAN bakeware?)
The paper muffin liners
I also really love the parchment paper muffin liners. I rarely find these liners for any of my muffins at the super market, but here’s a link where I get them online. The liners make a difference, but not necessary.
I use store bought pre-packaged thin sliced low carb ham as my #1 choice for these Ham and Cheese Muffins. Hillshire Farms is readily available and affordable. About half a package is the perfect amount for this recipe.
I also use this ham choice for my Ham & Egg Cups….another family favorite. It’s a really versatile ham that is low carb and can be used in many keto friendly recipes.
Vegetarian Muffin Option
A simple swap out in my Ham and Cheese Muffin makes this side dish vegetarian. I like to add a mix of red and green bell peppers and take out the ham to mix it up.
We may be have a big bowl of my Big Beef Chili or a cup of one of our favorite soups. Thats where this vegetarian Cheddar Muffin come in handy.
My secret to lasting weight loss
Maintaining my weight loss, and quite frankly staying healthy, has always been the main driver for this website. Making meals like these Pepperoni Pizza Egg Cups is really my trick. Sorry, it’s that simple for me…I meal prep and almost always cook at home.
I wrote a few articles about this and will write more, but I want everyone to know that cooking at home (especially having these Ham and Cheese Muffins on hand) is one of my major keys to success. Every meal does not have to be epic, but when I am prepared I have a much better chance at success.
Kellie in The Kellie Kitchen
- Preheat the oven to 350* and line 12 muffin cups with parchment paper liners (not simple paper as these muffins will stick).
- To the flour mixture you will now add in the melted butter, cream, eggs and water. Thoroughly mix all the ingredients together to form a batter. The batter will be slightly thick as these are dense muffins.
- Divide batter evenly into the parchment paper muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheddar.
- Bake for 30 minutes in 350* oven. Test with a toothpick to check for doneness as these muffins are quite dense and oven temperatures can vary slightly. If they need more time keep them in the oven for a few minutes longer.
- Remove and enjoy. These muffins are great hot out of the oven, but also keep well in an airtight bag or container in the fridge for a few days.
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctorbefore starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.