This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
A new variation of an old favorite…this yummy & creamy Hungarian Mushroom Soup is hearty and flavorful made with paprika and dill.
I’m always looking for new ways to enjoy a low carb and keto friendly lifestyle. This soup is a variation of my Cream of Mushroom soup. However, the addition of paprika, dill and vinegar gives this soup a tangy and rich flavor.
What is Glucomannan?
I originally came across Glucomannan as a dietary supplement. While I was not looking to use it as a supplement, I had never thought of using it in my cooking…but it makes sense.
It’s a highly dense vegetable fiber that absorbs liquid.
Glucomannan is fiber extracted from the konjac root, also known as elephant yam.
This is the same ingredient that’s used in shiritaki noodles. It is often sold as a dietary supplement, and you will readily find the Glucomannen capsules sold in most vitamins or dietary supplement aisles.
However, for cooking you will need to buy the loose powder that I find on amazon and sometimes in the baking aisle.
Glucomannan is a great thickener and a little goes a long way in this Soup. Word to the wise…don’t overdo the glucomannan.
For my keto soups, I found that about ¼ teaspoon per cup of liquid produces the right thickness.
Add your glucomannan to your soup to thicken it up. After 5-7 minutes of cooling, if you need to add a smidge more (seriously, just a smidge) then do so and stir to full combine.
Keto Accountability Coaching
21 day Keto & Fasting Jump Start Program
If you’re new to low carb and fasting you may need someone like me to hold you accountable. I have a one on one program. Click on this link for The Kellie Kitchen Keto Accountability Coaching Program.
I’ll teach you how to eat delicious food and still lose weight, look great and feel AMAZING.
The DIY Keto WorkBook
However, if you’re a “Do It Yourself” kind of person I have created a workbook to take you through the 21 day Jump Start Journey.
Click HERE find the 21 day Keto Guide Workbook on Amazon…
You can find the downloadable Keto workbook version at a discount here…
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup onions diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 tsp sweet mild paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine or water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp glucomannan optional, used as thickener
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and mushrooms have shrunk in size by half, 15 minutes.
- Transfer onions and mushrooms to a bowl.
- Add butter to the empty stock pot and let the butter melt over medium heat. Whisk in paprika, dill, salt, and pepper. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Deglaze pan with wine (water), whisking, until evaporated.
- Whisk in cream and sour cream, bring soup back to a simmer then stir in vinegar and glucomannan. Turn off heat, add parsley and serve.
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctorbefore starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.