Keto Zucchini Soup with Sage & Blue Cheese
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love making Surprise Soup as we head into early fall. The true name of this soup is Zucchini with Sage and Blue Cheese, but that’s so technical…and Surprise Soup sounds so much more fun.
Zucchini is in season at the end of Summer, so this is the time to batch cook and freeze this soup to enjoy well into the chilly end of the year.
The Surprise Soup Story
When my daughter Piper was little she, like most kids I’m ashamed to say, avoided any type of vegetable in its whole state. One day she came home after school and I was making this Keto Zucchini Soup with Sage and Blue Cheese.
Most of the time when my kids got off the bus they are starving. They are also on the verge of being sick from riding in the back of the windowless bus.
On this particular day she bursts into the house and she smells the most amazing thing on this planet. So excited….she comes over to the stove and she says, “whatcha makin’?”
I knew at that point that I couldn’t say Zucchini Soup with Sage and Blue Cheese.
There was no way in heck she would even look at this amazing soup if it’s original form was bright green and had once been lying on the dirt.
Being the genius mother that I am, I remembered one of our favorite books about a bunny that is a picky eater. This mother rabbit refers to her vegetable soup as ‘Surprise Soup’ to her baby bunny, Clover. With lightening speed whit I tell Piper it’s ‘Surprise Soup’.
She gives me a the look-the one that says ‘come on, Mooooommmmm!’ But she was so hungry that this day she let it slide. I put that first ladle of Surprise Soup in a small mug for her and the rest is history.
She loves this soup and it will forever be a favorite in our home.
With some very simple ingredients and a quick blend with the immersion blender Surprise soup can be made in a matter of 30 minutes. Surprise Soup is great as a meal with a side salad and it freezes beautifully.
My secret to lasting weight loss
Maintaining my weight loss, and quite frankly staying healthy, has always been the main driver for this website. Making dinners like this Zucchini Soup is really my trick.
Sorry, it’s that simple for me…I meal prep and almost always cook at home.
I wrote a few articles about this and will write more. Everyone needs to know that cooking at home is one of my major keys to success.
Every meal does not have to be epic.
When I am prepared I have a much better chance at success and maintaining my best health.
- The Diet That Changed My Life
- My 80 – 20 Rule
- Re-Thinking Healthy Food
- Life with a Keto Mom
- My Favorite Low Carb & Keto Resources
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 pounds zucchini roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried ground sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion, garlic, and zucchini. Cook the vegetables over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 10 mins or until the water runs from the zucchini.
- Add the sage, then salt and pepper. Stir to completely coat the vegetables. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 min.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted. Work the soup using a hand immersion blender or food processor until smooth. BE CAREFUL IF YOU DO THIS IN A BLENDER. HOT LIQUID MAY EXPLODE FROM BLENDER, SO DO THIS IN SMALL BATCHES.
- OPTIONAL & FANCY>>>>Pour the soup through a strainer into a clean pan. This gives the soup a velvety texture BUT not necessary.
- Add the cream to the soup back in your pan and stir to heat through.
- Taste for seasoning. Serve hot, garnished with fresh sage leaves.
MEDICAL AND NUTRITION DISCLAIMER…Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am simply recounting and sharing my own experiences on this blog. Nutritional break downs are done using a commercial nutrition calculator. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advice and you should consult with your doctorbefore starting any diet or exercise program. I provide nutritional information for my recipes simply as a courtesy to my readers, this should never be construed as medical advice.
21 day Keto & Fasting Jump Start Program
If you’re new to low carb and fasting and need someone like me to hold you accountable I have a one on one program. The Kellie Kitchen Accountability Coaching Program…for details click here.
I’ll teach you how to eat delicious food like this Zucchini Soup and still lose weight, look great and feel AMAZING.
However, if you’re a “Do It Yourself” kind of person I have created a workbook to take you through the 21 day Jump Start Journey.